Friday, March 9, 2012

Dale's Yum Yum Cake


When my children were young there were many days when I didn't have enough milk and eggs in the house to make a treat for them.  A friend of mine gave me the recipe below that came to her from her mother who had lived through the depression here in the US.  I understand there are many variations of depression cakes out there--they all share the use of lower priced products like water instead of milk and vegetable oil or vegetable shortening (like Crisco) instead of eggs.  I will add photos of the prep for this cake when I make it next.  One of my grown daughters just called me to ask for the recipe so I decided this was a great time to post it.  Photos will follow soon!  Now I am anxious to make it again for us!


Dales' Yum Yum Cake recipe

Boil 5 minutes:
1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup shortening
1/2 Cup raisins
2 squares chocolate (Or substitute 3 Tablespoons cocoa and 2/3 Tablespoon butter for each square of     chocolate)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1-1/2 Cup Cold Water

When cool, add:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt, and
1 teaspoon baking soda.

Mix in same pot, pour into 8x8 baking pan or a bread pan.  Bake 40 to 60 minutes--depending on your pan size and oven variations.

This recipe is for an everyday cake that got me through all those years when I didn't want to go out to get an ingredient that I didn't have in the house.  Eggs, milk, etc.   You can substitute  almost anything for the raisins. I've used chocolate chips, coconut, cranberries, craisins, nuts and more.  It's a dense cake, a depression cake, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment